Freeway closures begin Friday night for trestle paint job
The good news is Caltrans, the City of Ventura, and Union Pacific Railroad have sealed a long-term solution to improve the freeway trestle that includes clearing graffiti, installing surveillance cameras, new lighting and fencing, and other physical barriers to deter trespassers.
The painting of the trestle, however, will require Highway 101 to be closed at night over a series of days.
Traffic control measures and signed detours will be in place to direct motorists to alternate routes.
Beginning Friday night at 11 p.m., Southbound 101 will be closed between Ventura Avenue to Chestnut Street during the following times:
- Friday, May 18 through Saturday, May 19, 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Saturday, May 19 to Sunday, May 20, 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Sunday, May 20 to Monday, May 21, 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Southbound motorists will be detoured at the Ventura Avenue exit, along Thompson Boulevard to the Chestnut Street freeway on-ramp.
Beginning Friday, June 8, Northbound 101 will be closed between Seaward Avenue and South Oak Street during the following times:
- Friday, June 8 to Saturday, June 9, 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Saturday, June 9 to Sunday, June 10, 11 p.m. to 7 a.m.
- Sunday, June 10 to Monday, June 11, 11 p.m. to 5 a.m.
Northbound motorists will be detoured at Seaward Avenue exit, along Thompson Boulevard, to South Oak Street freeway on-ramp.
Thanks to Downtown Ventura Organization for the heads up!